Village Plan Refresh 2022
In 2015 the council published Seaton Valley Village Plans together with a valley wide action plan covering each of the five villages. The plans were based on consultation with local people and organisations via interviews, questionnaires and engagement events in each of the villages (a copy of each of the plans can be found further down this page).
The intention was always to review and refresh the plans after five years, although this was delayed a couple of years by the pandemic.
In March this year we commissioned ‘Your Back Yard’, a social enterprise company who worked with us on the 2015 plans, to carry out this review and help us develop a new plan. To simplify things, the remit this time is to do one valley wide plan with themes and projects reflecting priorities in each of the villages, as well as for the valley as a whole.
A review of progress against what was in the 2015 plans has highlighted that much has been achieved. A number of projects have been successfully delivered including:
- Gateway signs have been erected on all major routes into Seaton Valley.
- Replacement Play Parks have been installed at Mitford Road in Seaton Delaval and at Deneside in Seghill and new play parks were installed at Hastings Gardens in New Hartley and the Welfare Park in Seghill.
- A new play park is currently planned for Northside Place in Holywell.
- 20 MPH speed zones were introduced in Seghill, Seaton Sluice and New Hartley.
- Speed Indicator Devices were installed to reduce speeding.
- Shop front improvements in Seaton Delaval
There is a feeling across the Valley that more could be offered in terms of activities, facilities and services for young people and older adults. But what do you think?
We know from the widespread consultation we did last time that people like living in the Valley, whilst acknowledging the scope for further improvements to the overall quality of life. Things have clearly changed since 2015; it’s been a tough few years for just about everyone.
What do you think would make your village an even better place to live? And what are the challenges facing the Valley as a whole? How have they changed since 2015? And just as importantly where do you think the new opportunities are?
There are lots of ways in which you can have your say:
- There is an online survey to complete Seaton Valley Village Plan Survey (all respondents have the added incentive of being entered in a draw for a £50 gift voucher!)
- A hard copy of the survey is available on request, and will be left at key community locations
- You can leave comments on our Facebook page @seatonvalleycommunitycouncil
- Twitter users can tweet us at @seatonvalleycc using the hashtag #SeatonValleyPlan
There will also be opportunities for people who prefer face to face consultation, and having a good discussion about things. Once the first phase of consultation has been carried out and some ideas and priorities emerge there will be a staffed ‘road show’ stopping off in each of the five villages in early summer (dates to be confirmed).
We need your views so please complete the survey or contact us with your comments.
You can view copies of the original plans from 2015 below: